It is important to remember that the first step is to consult a specialised real estate lawyer. He will be able to help you intent the following proceedings:

  1. Demand the reduction of your rent;
  2. Claim compensatory or punitive damages;
  3. Resiliation of the lease;
  4. Force a specific performance of the obligation due to the Landlord’s failure of his duty and obligations;
  5. Demand the recovery of the housing from the bad faith Landlord;
  6. Abandon the housing if the premises are unsuitable;

The Rental Board may condemn the Landlord to reduce the rent of the Tenant in the event that the Tenant has been deprived of his peaceful enjoyment of his premises such as the lack of heating or air-conditioning, the absence of the use of an elevator and the absence of taking proper maintenance and care to the property.

We must remember that each case is a case of its own. In other words, every situation is unique and will be analysed by a courthouse according to the circumstances.

If you want to make a claim to your Landlord, or if you think that your Landlord’s claim is groundless, your first reflex should be to call a lawyer who possesses the necessary expertise in order to protect your rights.

Click here to read the article Investing in the Landlord-Tenant relationship

If you are looking for a law firm with reasonable rates, quick and efficient turnaround time for your files and who provides personalized and effective follow-ups, call Schneider Attorneys at (514) 439-1322 ext. 112 or email us at

The above noted text should not be construed as providing legal advice or a statement of your claim. The process highlighted above are merely parameters and barometers and do not constitute any warranties and guaranties with regards to your file at hand. We strongly recommend that you seek legal advice with a licensed attorney from the Barreau du Quebec or a notary at the Chambre des Notaires. Each case must be seen and analysed on its merits as the legal process may be complex and cumbersome.